Can you learn to be a better writer? Yes you can. Just as great painters learn their craft, so too can writers. Here is a collection of my blogs on writing technique and writing tips.
- How to start writing – how to start a new story, or how to start a new blog.
- Should you read W Somerset Maugham? In a word, yes.
- “He knew he was right”: Trollope on the sexes – how men think, from the master.
- Marilyn Monroe and 5 ways to turn experience into fiction – she worked hard.
- A writing course in Greece: Loutro, Crete – I can’t wait to go back.
Reading from my book “Seven Hotel Stories” in Innsbruck
- Writing fiction: 7 ways to deal with rejection – an all too common problem, sadly.
- 7 ways to improve your manuscript – improving the first draft of your novel
- 5 ways to beat writer’s block – start today.
- How to write a novel: plan in advance, or not? My advice: try both.
- How to write a novel: edit as you go along, or not? It’s a balance.
- How to write gripping fiction: scenes, sequels and cliff-hangers
- How to sign up for Robert Pimm’s writing news – you’re welcome!
- Waugh, Wodehouse, Durrell & Alan Clark: four quotations – learn from masters.
- How Trollope helps you understand British politics – and humour – it’s true.
- “Like all young men I set out to be a genius, but…” Wodehouse & Durrell
- How to write great Nut-grafs & Cosmic Kickers: part 3
- The 4 elements of the perfect article: Nut-Grafs and Cosmic Kickers – great advice.
- 7 tips for writing the perfect article (part 1 of 3)
- How to write: comedy, thriller and diary quotations
Writing in the Salzkammergut, Austria
- 50 Shades: 5 reasons it’s a masterpiece, 5 reasons I hate it – I finished 3 volumes.
- W Somerset Maugham on sex, turnips and the meaning of life – wise advice
- Arvon residential writing courses: review – one of the worlds’ top writing courses.
- Skyros writing courses: where inspiration comes from – learn to write in Greece
- How to write your first draft: paper or computer? My personal tips.
- How to write: 5 places story ideas come from – More than five, actually.
- Short story technique from the master: W Somerset Maugham – the master, indeed.