Which rooftop bar in Vienna has:
- outstanding cocktails
- the best view in Vienna
- total coolness?
Here’s a clue:
The terrace of the Aurora Rooftop Bar
Here are some reasons I like the Aurora rooftop bar at Hyatt’s fancy new Andaz Vienna am Belvedere:
- I am picky about cocktails. The Aurora has a terrific Nordic-themed cocktail menu. My favourite is the “Berserker’s Punch” (white rum, overproof rum, orange, coconut, pineapple, lemon, milk, and a cola lolly). To be honest, I can’t see or taste any milk in it. I advise against drinking too many of these;
- that view. I can’t get enough of it. You can look down on the Belvedere, across to the Stephansdom and Kahlenberg, or over to the Arsenal. In fact, they have a pretty good views in all directions, soon to be lent a touch of vertiginous splendour by some other tall buildings nearby. The views are good at night, too;
The view from the Aurora at night. The Belvedere is in the foreground
- the clientele is cool, with a high proportion of Viennese;
- in spring, summer and autumn you can enjoy maybe the best terrace in Vienna (you can go outside in winter, too, but it may be chilly). In the winter, when the weather is less terrace-friendly, the indoors has a fine vibe with wall-to-ceiling windows and wonderful views;
- they’ve banned plastic straws;
- the snacks are tasty and filling – I like the Boa beef Bratwurst;
- the location is handy for the 21 Haus (modern art gallery) across the road; for the Upper Belvedere, with its Klimts and other world class art; and for Vienna’s pulsating new Hauptbahnhof (main station) with its transport links.
Full disclosure: the Andaz Vienna am Belvedere, on whose top floor the Aurora perches, is run by my partner, Gözde. But I wouldn’t praise it unless I really liked it.
For: something special, with a real sense of place.
Against: unfamiliar location if you rarely leave the First District
P.S. If you want to see more Vienna cafe reviews, see my Great Vienna cafes page.
P.P.S. If you enjoy fresh, original writing, feel free to friend me on Facebook or sign up for e-mail updates (top right – see the “click here” blue button). Check out the range of writing on this site via the sitemap and guide.